Day 5: We're not in Memphis Anymore | Alex Carruthers

Hello, Western World.  Murray and I have decent Wifi at the alburgue in Estella, Spain.  Today we walked a hot 22 kilometers.  Today, the walk was mainly fields and vineyards, and the road we were on was pretty white, so the glare was pretty bad and so it was very hot.

Today, was mainly a reflective day.  Murray and I had some good conversations, but we really kept talking to a minimal today as we grinded through the heat and getting to Estella.  I thought today was one of the hardest as my legs were cramping up and were very sore the whole time.  Once we got to Estella, I have been stretching every thirty minutes trying to get my legs back to normal.  You see, I naturally walk on my tip toes, and my calves have really paid the price for that. Murray taught me to walk on my heels. It has been an eye-opening experience for me and my calves.  We both would like to publicly thank Murray.

Also, in one of our conversations, Murray explained to me that he loved fields.  He just thinks that fields are very cool and interesting to look at.  I told him that I thought rivers are beautiful and are interesting.  It’s truly just an amazing thing that a guy that loves fields and a guy that loves rivers – such diverse topics— could be such good friends.  The Camino brings all kinds of people closer together.  I’m just looking forward to what else it has in store for us.

Oh, and we have a long walk tomorrow.  Be praying for that.

Pictured below is Cirauqui, known to us as "city on a hill"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About The Memphis Pilgrims

Day 18: Prison Break | Murray Morrison

Day 30: The End | Murray Morrison