Day 21: What Goes Up Must Come Down | Alex Carruthers

Que tal, Americanos.  Day 21 is in the books.  We walked 27 kilometers from Foncebadon to Ponfereda.  We have made a cover of Rihana’s song “Umbrella” by changing “Umbrella” to “Ponfereda.”  Just Camino things.

Today’s hike was very pretty, and it was a lot of uphill and downhill as we hit the highest point on the Camino and went down from there.  Two kilometers into the hike we got to finally see Crux de Ferro (Iron Cross), probably the most famous landmark of the Camino.  It was a very cool experience as I was able to place my rock from Memphis on the base of the cross as it represented the burdens I bring to the cross.   Also, a lot of Koreans were hogging the cross for pictures, so we couldn’t get a great picture. 

Downhill is not particularly enjoyable as it hurts the knees and forces us to go slowly in order to avoid injury.  So today we took a lot of breaks.
In the town before Ponfereda, we ate a delicious lunch where a shirtless German with a guitar sat at our table as he rolled a cigarette.  I can’t make these things up, people.

At breakfast, we were talking to this Boston girl (22) and a German (20) and they asked how old we were.  I told her I was 21 and Murray told her he was 19.  Boston woman said “No offense, but you don’t look 21 at all.”  If she had just said “Oh wow you don’t really look like you’re 21” then I would not have been offended at all.  But her saying “no offense” just made a comment that wasn’t really offensive become offensive.  Yankees.

My uncle shared with me a poem that I think is extremely relevant to our trip and to the Christian life, and so I would like to share it as my conclusion because this is my blog and I can.  It’s entitled “Up-hill” by Christina Rossetti.

“Does the road wind up-hill all the way?”
“Yes, to the very end”
“Will the day’s journey take the whole long day?”
“From morn to night, my friend”
“But is there for the night a resting-place?”
“A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.”
“May not the darkness hide it from my face?”
“You cannot miss that inn”
“Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?”
“Those who have gone before”
“Then I must knock, or call when just in sight?”
“They will not keep you waiting at that door.”
“Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?”
“Of labour you shall find the sum.”
“Will there be beds for me and all who seek?”
“Yes, beds for all who come.”

Picture: I have cropped out the people standing to the right of my pivotal moment on the Camino as a I lay my burdens on the base of the cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About The Memphis Pilgrims

Day 18: Prison Break | Murray Morrison

Day 30: The End | Murray Morrison